I once shared with my children this, one year or five years or 10 years will come and go, regardless what you do or what you not do. If you don’t take initiative and do something, you will find yourself in the same spot, no change, say five years down the way.
I encourage them to imagine where they are five years down the road. If you want to see a career leap, take these actions.
1. Have short-term and long-term goals
2. Have a clear road map to reach your goals
3. Have an open mind to new things and opportunities. Let nothing go by without your close scrutiny
4. Keep constant self-pep talk as morale booster and also as a reminder not to forget your goal. Nothing can come true without your believing it. Be your own cheerleader if nobody’s around
5. Learn from your failures. Move on regardless of all the setbacks.